Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lower your Blood Pressure with Exercise


The pressure to succeed at home, at work, and even to find the lowest gas price is constant. As we take these pressures head on, there also could be pressure building up inside us without notice. Blood pressure as we know is the force on our arteries as blood is transported throughout the body.

Exercise and blood pressure have a close connection. Regular physical activity helps to build a stronger heart. A stronger heart will send more blood throughout the body with less effort, in turn placing less stress on your arteries. It takes at least one to three months of regular exercise to have sustained results. Exercising this regularly, can lower your blood pressure by 10 millimeters of mercury, and possibly eliminate the need to take medications.

So, what do you have to do? Moderate aerobic activity of at least 20-30 minutes on most days of the week is recommended. Aerobic activity can be anything from mowing the lawn and other yard work to walking or jogging. If you don't have time for 20-30 consecutive minutes of activity, break it up into shorter bursts of 5 to 10 minutes, and before you know it, you have reached your 30 minutes for the day.

By Craig DeLeon, ATC, Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan

2 comments:

  1. There are a lot of people who simply can't find themselves to exercise because it feels like a chore. I know it felt a chore for me. My doctor said to incorporate exercise to what you already enjoy doing. Well I love watching my tv shows so I bought one of those manual treadmills for home and placed it in the living room. I just hop on the treadmill and start walking while I watch tv. It's quiet enough to hear the tv and most importantly, no electricity needed and its very light so I can put it anywhere.

    It ended up lowering my blood pressure after 4 weeks of solid walking. Don't give up guys, exercise, even light exercises will lower your blood pressure.

    ReplyDelete