Sunday, July 10, 2011

A League of Their Own: Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan Stroke Survivors Start Golf League

Members of Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan (RIM) Novi Center’s Stroke Support Group are getting their lives and game back on course. The group recently started a golf league for stroke survivors and their family members.

The group meets bi-weekly and is comprised of stroke survivors, some who have golfed before and some who are new to the sport. Some of the golfers are ambulatory and some golf from a specialized adapted golf cart. The cart has a swivel seat that allows golfers to hit the ball from a seated or supported standing position.

According to RIM Novi’s social worker and case manager, Jay Devereaux, the league has provided physical and psychological benefits. “Golf is a very physical game so it is great for them to be outside and exercising and from a psychological standpoint it is a huge self-esteem builder for them to be out here and enjoying something they loved prior to their stroke.”
Steve Freilich had been a golfer for 35 years. He thought his days on the golf course were over when he suffered a stroke four years ago.

“After my stroke, I couldn’t talk, or walk or drive. Thanks to my rehab, today I am able to do all of those things, including golf.”

“My game is not what it used to be. I golf one handed and my ball doesn’t go as far, but I still enjoy it and I’m grateful to be out here. I think I will probably be golfing another 35 years now.”




1 comment:

  1. From a stroke survivor across the pond, you lot are fantastic and an inspiration to all stroke survivors! Take care have fun and go for it!!!

    Brian Archibald UK

    ReplyDelete