Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Hand therapy puts world back at patient’s finger tips

“I first thought my injury was no big deal. A few stitches and I’d be on my way. Wow, was I wrong.  It’s amazing how something seemingly so small has made such a big impact on my life.”
It was Nov. 30, 2013 and Kathleen Lowry was making a smoothie in what she calls her “ninja blade blender.  As she was pouring it into a cup, the blade came tumbling out.  Instead of letting it fall to the floor, she tried to catch it, slicing the tip of her right index finger.
As a nurse anesthetist at the Sinai-Grace Berry Surgery Center, she is familiar enough with medical situations to know this cut needed more than a band aid.  She headed to a nearby ER where a medical student said she was lucky that she didn’t cut her tendon, stitched her up and sent her home.
At first she thought she was healing well, but still unable to bend the tip of her finger a week and a half later, she knew the accident was much more serious.  She went to see a hand surgeon who said her tendon had been severed and it had probably retracted into her palm. Surgery was a must. Her doctor wasn’t available but her coworkers recommended DMC hand surgeon Dr. Brian Najarian.
“When I called Dr. Najarian’s office, they got me in immediately.  Dr. Najarian and his whole staff were so reassuring and really put me at ease.  He was also very thorough in explaining everything.”
Two weeks after her accident, Kathleen had surgery.  Dr. Najarian was able to fish the tendon out of her palm and reattach it.  He gave her a 50/50 chance that her fingertip nerves would regenerate and he was optimistic that she would regain functional use of her finger.  He sent her to DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan to give her finger every chance for a positive recovery.
“I’ve been going to DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan in Novi two times a week since my surgery.  They are just terrific there.  They’re knowledgeable and offer the most advanced treatments. But what I’m most impressed about is they’re taking care of me emotionally too.”
Kathleen says this small injury has left her depressed and frustrated.  While her friends and family are telling her to enjoy the time off work, she can’t.  The injury happened on her dominate hand and she can’t pinch or grasp. That means extra effort to write, use a keyboard, eat, dress and just in general taking care of her daily needs.
“Holy cow, this has been difficult.  I’m so thankful DMC Rehabilitation Institute is there to help me through it.  From the tip of my finger to my toes, they’re worried about the whole me.  I look forward to going back to work and getting back to life, thanks to Dr. Najarian and DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan.”

No comments:

Post a Comment